Monday, February 23, 2009

Facebook

You all know how much I love my Facebook (FB for short). I've talked about how great it is to be able to stay involved--somewhat, anyway--in people's lives who I don't get to see regularly. Well, recently I've had some reservations about my beloved FB.

I've had some people seek me out from my past, namely high school. Now, my high school days certainly weren't my happiest days. Looking back, the happiest, most carefree days of my life were in college. Don't misunderstand me--I am extremely happy with my life now and Mr, but in college, there was the lack of responsibilities, the freedom from stretching my wings for the first time ever, the thrill of meeting new people, and the excitement that, in my opinion, can only be experienced when your life stretches out before you with endless possibilities. That feeling can't be recaptured or re-experienced no matter how happy your circumstances are currently. High school...not so much.

Although there were good times and good friends in high school, I don't look back on it fondly. I felt awkward, unsure of myself, out of place. The person I was in high school doesn't resemble the person I am now and frankly, I don't want to remember that insecure girl from high school. Reconnecting with high school friends brings all of that back up which is another reason I haven't gone to any of my hs reunions. Who wants to remember and relive that crap? Not me.

So, when my first hs friend friended me on FB, I was reluctant to accept. Truly, after almost 25 years, what could I possibly have in common with these people? I decided to accept, dug up some old pics from hs and smiled over some memories. After her, I fished around and found a few more people and some found me. It's neat to see pictures of their kids, pictures of them now and what they've been doing in their lives. Plus, with FB, your level of "involvement" can be customized, meaning, I don't have to comment on their page every day or they on mine. I don't have to check their status or be overly involved in the day-in-day-out stuff that I am with people who are actively in my life now. It's not so bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same about FB. I have to admit, though, there are some friends requests I choose to ignore. Not you, though :^).