Leo Buscalgia
I have a coworker who has a friend who has another friend whose sister has stage 4 cancer. She is going through her last round of chemo and has also started radiation. The girl is 15 years old.
My coworker felt so bad for the girl she proceeded to go about gathering items from around the shop to purchase what she thought would comfort the girl, taking into consideration what her body is going through since she's going through chemo and radiation. She thoughtfully considered what scents would possibly bother her, what items would provide her with the most comfort and even went over to another store to buy one of the items she thought she would really like. Did I mention that my coworker doesn't even know this girl? Didn't even know she had cancer until yesterday right before she began gathering the items?
Isn't it ironic that yesterday my quote from an e-newsletter that I subscribe to was the quote I have above and then I went into work and here was this person who was actually living the quote I had just read yesterday morning? Have you ever given the way the quote explains or the way my coworker did yesterday? Not to your kids or your family or a close friend, but to a stranger? I'm not saying those acts of giving don't "count"; they do immensely; but oh the joy of giving to a stranger, someone you may never meet or see. It's an indescribable feeling and one that fills your soul with joy.
This week's challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to put the above quote into action and "report" back here what you did. I'd love to hear about it. We all get ideas off of each other. I'm already trying to think of a way to do something like my coworker did. You don't have to have a ton of money or spend a lot of money doing something to affect another person. Just showing you care for them as a human being is enough. Imagine how that girl felt when she received the gifts. Imagine how you would feel to know that a complete stranger cared enough about you as a person to think of you during one of the worst times of your life. Wow, I want to be a part of giving that feeling to someone else. What about you?

3 comments:
I challenge all of you to give to toys for tots. I don't know if you have that where you are but the fire dept will distribute toys to families during the holdiay season. What a wonderful thing she did.
Bean
I ask all of you to join your local church in going around on Thanksgiving handing out meals to families that are not able to afford a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, then follow it up by giving gifts to your local church for the same families that you helped deliver dinner to so that their children will be able to enjoy christmas in a way we enjoyed christmas as a child. My church does this every year and it is a wonderful sight to see these children faces light up with surprise!
Julie
Thanks, that means a lot to me. Just to let you know she loved her stuff and also they are doing her bedroom in the colors of the pillow. She might get to come home the week of Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment