Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Last night the girl child and I braved the cold and went to see "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". I'd been hearing really great things about it, and it didn't disappoint.

Have you ever watched a movie and it just hit you at the place you are in your life? If you had watched it at another time in your life, it's just a movie, but at that special moment, it fills you with some much insight and emotion that it's overwhelming. That's what this movie did to me.

What I took away from this movie is that it's a movie about love. Love in all of its forms--love for children, love for parents, love for every human being, love for self, love for life, love for that one special person who makes your heart sing. All of this love despite looks or time. Just pure, unadulterated love.

I've always heard that "love" is a verb not a noun. This movie proves that. It's not what you feel for another person, although that is extremely important too, but the most important thing is how you show that love--what you do, what kind of person you are. The love that is portrayed in this movie is the verb kind of love and it's so beautiful.

With Mr and I being in our first year of being married, this movie really made me think about about how much I love him and how I love him. I don't like to gush publicly about my feelings for Mr. I think people who go on and on to anyone who will listen about how much they love someone seem insincere, but today I feel compelled to write about how I feel. I can honestly say I love him more today than the day we got married. I didn't really think that was possible. Our wedding day was beautiful and so full of emotion for me. I didn't think my heart could be any fuller than it was that day. Every day we are married, he becomes more precious to me. Even though he may get on my nerves sometimes, that's all part of it. It isn't getting along 100% of the time. It's being here, knowing that we will always be here for each other. Showing up is love.

Go see this movie.

No comments: