Monday, August 3, 2009

Looking back

Music is very important to me. When I'm in a funk, my favorite music can pull me out of it almost instantly. When I feel like crap and want to "waller" in it, certain songs can help me waller with the best of them! Today while I was getting dressed, I was listening to my iPod on shuffle and an old favorite played--"Better Days" by Bruce Springsteen. Boy, did this song take me back instantly.

There were many days that I sang this song at the top of my lungs in my apartment, remembering what absolutely shitty times I'd been through...and survived...for the better. There are so many lines in this song that rang so true for me at those times in my life that it makes me wonder if Bruce didn't go through similar things in his life. That's the thing with songs...the words can seem like they were written about me or my life and those are the songs that mean the most to me and truly touch my spirit in a way that nothing else can.

As I listened to it today, it made me remember those tough days again and where I am now. It made me remember the person I was then and the person I am today. I am a different person than I was then, but I wouldn't be this person if it weren't for those shitty ones. Truly, today, I am living in Better Days...and I'm grateful.




No comments: